# TIP 23: SO YOU WANT TO START AN INTERIOR DESIGN BUSINESS ?
Everyone wants to be their own boss one day, right ?
To run their own business and live life on their terms, visit exotic locations and profit from what they are passionate about. And there’s nothing wrong with that, really.
How we go about it, how we bridge that chasm between a secure, employee based life to a radical, entrepreneur lifestyle is where the challenge is.
There are tonnes of ways to go about starting your own business, an interior design firm no less. The internet is full of them. I chanced upon this particular gem from inc.com which rings true about starting one’s own business:
- It’s likely that 30% of all new businesses won’t survive past 24 months and that number rises to 50 percent after five years.
- The success rate of mentored small businesses compared to those without a mentor is stunning: 70% of mentored businesses survive more than five years, double the rate for non-mentored small businesses over that same period!
If you catch on fast you’ll see where I’m going with this : start your business without a mentor at your own peril. Your chances of failure without a business mentor are unfortunately, quite high.
- A mentor will help you find weaknesses in your business model. As an entrepreneur, it’s easy to become overly attached to a business plan or to have tunnel vision as to the best way to achieve your goals. A mentor can help you look past your original scope and see the weaknesses in your model.
- It gives you the opportunity to expand your network. A mentor may not have all the answers, but he or she should be willing and able to connect you with other people who can help.
- It will still be your business. Your mentor won’t be “taking over” your business. A good mentor supports you and brings out the best in you without trying to make you build your company in ‘their image’.
I began a Business Mentorship program in October last year and I’m in the process of mentoring 40 aspiring interior designers. They are smart, driven and focused but best of all, they opted to be mentored.
Interested in starting off on the right note ? Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see how best to offer the business mentorship opportunity that works for you.
Till next time,